Pool Fence Code In Massachusetts
If you live in Boston, Massachusetts, and you own a pool, it is important for you to ensure that your pool remains safe all year round and nothing says safety like a pool fence. Pools are a great addition to your home and they are immensely popular during the summer season. There is nothing like taking a dip to cool off during those hot summer days and there are always so many activities to do in the pool. However, pools can also be hazardous with more and more accidents and drownings happen each year.
Accidental drownings are the leading cause of death for children under the age of 5. This usually happens because they are curious and can get into the pool area unattended. It is important that you have a high-quality pool fence to prevent these accidents from happening. Additionally, the law of Massachusetts requires that every pool that is 24 inches deep or more must have a fence or a protective barrier.
When it comes to adding a fence around your swimming pool, there are certain factors you need to consider:
Pool Fence requirements in Massachusetts:
- Top of the barrier shall be at least 48 inches above the finished ground level
- A 2-inch space between barrier and ground
- A 4-inch space between the top of pool and barrier
- Openings in barrier shall not allow passage of a 4-inch diameter object
- Solid barriers which do not have openings
- Maximum mesh size shall be a 2 1/4 in a square unless the fence is provided with slats fastened at the top or bottom which reduce the opening to no more than 1 3/4 inches.
- must be equipped to accommodate a locking device
- should open outward, away from the pool
- needs to be self-closing
- gates other than pedestrian gates shall have a self-latching device
- the gate and barrier shall have no opening greater than 1/2 inch within 18 inches of the release mechanism
It is fun and exciting to have a pool in your backyard; however, you need to make sure that you make careful considerations and observe the necessary requirements for pool fences in Massachusetts. You want to have fun in your pool and by having a secure pool fence, your family, friends, and pets will be safe all season long.