Well water is one of those resources that originated from nature and has been catering to humanity’s needs. As per estimates, almost 98% of water is obtained from nature as in rain and groundwater.
With the advancement in technology and mostly, agricultural practices, the ground has been the ultimate victim of experiments.
However, groundwater is the ultimate source of water. The most important question is how to keep the water clean and free from impurities?
Before learning the techniques, let’s learn how this water gets contaminated. What makes this natural resource unusable?
Factors to check the source of well water
Almost 15-20% of Americans and people in other countries suffer from problems due to impure well water. In the lack of well water testing, water content indicates high levels of TDS and TSS (Totally Dissolved Solids) and (Totally Suspended Solids).
Before checking the status of the well water, it’s necessary to check out some factors. Some of these are:
- Location: the location of your well is the foremost thing. You must see if there are any contaminants around. In case, there is an issue in the location, try eliminating the cause in the nearby area.
- Maintenance: Are you maintaining your well water source? Any issue in the water might be due to maintenance. If you don’t see anything, then check out for other factors.
- Construction: just like any other building or structure, it’s necessary to lay an eye on the construction materials. Sometimes everything is fine but due to a fault in the construction materials, impurities might just find a way.
- Surroundings: Take care of the surroundings too in addition to other factors. Sometimes, surroundings, nearby factories, golf courses can cause problems in the water.
Main impurities/contaminants found in the well water
It’s not possible to find out every impurity in the water reservoir. However, some of the impurities that are found in major quantities are given below. They are responsible for making this water unfit for drinking and household purposes.
Though each of the water resources differs in the impurity content, these are found in every second resource:
- Natural impurities such as Calcium, Radon, Arsenic, and Copper.
- Farming-related impurities such as pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides.
- Industrial deposits like heavy metals, chemicals, paint, and synthetic materials.
- Sewage runoff from some sources also corrodes the well surface.
- Poor construction materials like low-quality metals and others also contribute to the defective water.
- Activities are also an indicator of what would be the impact on water. The nature of activities carried out with the water is also to be checked.
How to Make Well Water Drinkable?
After surfing through the reasons that could possibly worsen the condition of the well water, it’s necessary to go through the options for recovery too.
These options are associated with different methods. These methods can be used to obtain purified water from the contaminated resources.
Here is a list of some of the methods that are relied upon to get rid of the impurities.
- Water testing is the first step to analyze what’s actually wrong with the water. With this, it’s possible to recognize the TDS (Totally Dissolved Solids) as well as other impurities in their concerned ratios. Now, once all the analysis has been done, it’s easier to select the right treatment from the given methods.
- Proper filtration helps in eliminating the impurities from a given sample of water. This can be the first stage of filtration when only some part is considered for purification.
- Whole-house filtration is the option when you have to get the main pipes of your house to deliver you the purest water. Unlike the simple filtration system, this system helps in purifying the overall water distribution in the house.
These are the methods that the filters use to clean the water sample:
- Activated Carbon helps in the removal of lead and pesticides materials when passed through the filter. It can also remove iron also. It has also been used in many other products to remove impurities.
- Resin filters help in the deep removal of iron and other heavy components and have no effect on the flow rate of the water. Also, they are comparatively durable.
- Reverse Osmosis helps the excess impurities to be removed through the help of a membrane. In this process, the heavier particles are drawn to the vacant side, leaving behind the pure water on the first side.
- Water ionizer method is known as the ion exchanger method. The principle of the mechanism behind this operation is using electrical charge to eliminate the impurities out of the system. Since the filtering depends on some properties, make sure you confirm the right instructions with the vendor.
- UV filtration is the method of using UV rays. This method kills most of the bacteria but it doesn’t work with the heavier form of impurities like heavy metals and others.
- Countertop filtration sometimes works on a given portion. Consider this option when you only need one outlet that attaches at only one part of the tap. Also, how would you feel when you don’t have to invest even genuine plumbing charges and yet get the purest water?
- Under the sink filtration system is the system where filtration happens through underground plumbing attachment with the filters. The main advantage of this system is that it can filter a large amount of water efficiently.
- Water softening is a specific treatment for hard water as well water with high iron. All the properties like hardness and turbidity can be removed. Hard water makes it hard to carry most of the household tasks. Thus, once the analysis is out and it reveals only the need for water softening, this method is the best solution. You can know more about water softeners for well water here.
- Water Distillation is a chemical technique that involves getting rid of metal impurities in the form of vapors. These vapors are later condensed into other containers, leaving the sample water clean. The percentage of clarity in this water is 99.8 %. These metal vapors are of arsenic, lead, and mercury.
- Water Disinfecting is a method of obtaining clear water with an eye on microbial growth. If your concern revolves around microorganisms and not other factors, then you can go for this method.
- Keep your walls covered to keep away contaminants as well as debris. Check for any corrosion and surface cracking marks before they further spread.
- Keep away the insect infestation and any route that provides entry to pests or any other insects. If you have any septic system in your house, then take care of the house and avoid any leakage signs.
- Ensure your water is tested on an annual basis or even more often, just to make sure no contamination happens over a time period. This technique is known as the well water testing technique and is used commonly.
- In case of any issue, make sure to reach out to appropriate departments. Let the issues not reach out to innocent people.
Groundwater or well water caters to most of the population that resides all around the world. Be it a rural area or an urban settlement, it’s important to review the water quality.
Despite all the factors, there can be impurities in the drinkable water. Since it is the resource without which life can’t be imagined, it’s necessary to check out what corrodes.
Despite thousands of tests, things might be difficult for people who aren’t much aware. For them, testing and solutions become hard.
Playing our part in making the water available is necessary as we all need water to survive. It’s not a luxury, it’s a necessity.