Having a pool in your backyard is a real treat. There is nothing better than relaxing in water with your family during a long summer day. But, as it usually goes, it comes with a price. Pools are really hard to maintain and clean. If you wish to do it by yourself, it will take a lot of time and energy. Nevertheless, if you are a real enthusiast and love swimming, this is a small price to pay.
Here are some tips that will help you clean and maintain your pool (you might also want to check this definitive guide on how to clean your pool).
- Before you fill the pool for the first time, make sure to clean it nicely. If you do this, you are avoiding potential issues later on that will force you to empty your pool mid-season. By using specialized products for pool, you are preventing potential damage to it.
- Use cleaning products for the bottom and for the sides. Pool products should prevent the formation of scales and hard water stains. Like other similar products that you use in your bathroom, you need to leave them for some time. After that, you can wash it away.
- Grease and dirt that is accumulated on the edge of the pool can be simply cleaned with a special gel. Products like this are amazing when dealing with any type of problematic substance. Similarly to previous products, gel needs to remain briefly in place after which you can wash it away.
- Have in mind that most of these products are very volatile. Also, they can potentially create lots of bubbles when you fill the pool with water. In order to prevent this, you will have to thoroughly wash it. This way, you will remove all the hazardous elements which may irritate your skin. Once again; you should only use special pool products!
- Before season starts, you should check the condition of your pipes. They can easily start leaking during the summer season. If you suspect there is some issue with them, it is better to replace them instantly. Otherwise, you may be forced to empty your pool.
- Always check your filters before filling the pool. If you have a cartridge filter, you will most likely have to change it because the amount of bacteria increases in it during the winter. If you have a sand filter, you will most likely have to change sand.
- The quality of the water is of the utmost importance for your health. Before using the pool, don’t forget to chlorinate. It will destroy all the microorganisms that may be present in the water. You need to put chlorinating granules in a bucket. Mix them up a bit. After that, walk around the pool edge, pouring the content into the pool. Leave it be for a couple of hours until the mixture dissolves. If you wish, you can vacuum leftovers from the bottom of the pool.
- If the water is too hard or too soft, it can interfere with chlorine as well as the overall quality of water. After initial chlorination, you need to balance pH value of the water. The ideal acid level is 7.4 (same as the human skin). Anything else can interfere with your skin and mucous membrane leading to various irritations. We can check the pH level with special tablets or with electronic devices. In order to increase or decrease acidity, you can use special granules.
- Besides chemical cleaning, you also need to perform mechanical filtration of the pool that will remove various types of dirt, dust, and debris from your pool. This can be done either with a cartridge filter or with a sand filter that is put in a pool pump. Depending on the used filter, the pump can work from 4 to 24 hours.
- If you are using a cartridge filter, you will have to change it once in 14 days and clean it on every 2 days. This is why it is always good to have spare filters at your disposal. If you don’t change it, it can lead to pump breakdown.
- When there are people in the pool, the pump needs to be shut down. Otherwise, it may short circuit leading to electric discharge into the water which oftentimes ends in death.
By following these rules, you are ensuring pool safety. There are a lot of rules that need to be followed and it can be tiresome at moments. But, the pleasure of having your own pool more than compensates for it.
Guest Writer: Nick Stoyanov is a pool maintenance expert at forpumps.com.au. 4 Pumps Pty Ltd (4 Pumps) is Australia’s largest online pump store. 4 Pumps is an Australian company that focuses on the national distribution of its comprehensive range of quality pumping products.